OCS Titan Bands
OCS Band Winter Concert - Dec 8th
OCS - Band Concert Information
Date: December 8th Location: OCS Gym Student call time: 5:30 – 5:45
The Winter band concert is required for all OCS Band students and counts as a major test grade.
Students will go home like normal and return wearing their band concert uniform between 5:30 - 5:45. Students will not stay in the band room / with Mr. Vogel after school that day.
Students should wear their: Band Polo Shirts, full length solid black pants or a solid black skirt that goes below the knee when sitting, and solid black closed toe shoes. No sandals or crocs. If a student wears socks or a belt, those should be black as well.
Concert will start promptly at 6pm. Students should return to school at 5:30 – 5:45 wearing their band uniform.
Concert will be complete in 1 hour or less
Band Polo Shirt Orders extended to 9/23
Good afternoon Band families,
We have extended to due date for the band polo shirts from 9/9 (last week) until 9/23 (next week Friday). That was included in the original paperwork from the beginning of the year. The Band polo shirt is a major part of what we wear for our concerts and is required.
If your student has a shirt from last year (and it still fits) then you are good, no need to reorder! All new members will need a band polo shirt. On Monday 9/26, I will collect shirt sizes for all students who we do not have a order form turned in for. Please submit your order form by 9/23 to guarantee your child’s shirt size. Late orders will not be guaranteed the right to choose their shirt size.
I have a copy of the order form attached here. I will also provide a second copy of the form to all students in class tomorrow.
WHAT DO I NEED FOR BAND AND HOW DO I GET IT?
***For the 2022 - 2023 school year***
WHAT DO I NEED AND HOW DO I GET IT?
- Instrument (If you already have an instrument, skip this step)
- The first option to getting an instrument is attending our instrument night on AUGUST 11th. The event is a drop in event from 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM. We will have all the instruments set up for the students to try. There will be representatives there to help set up rentals for instruments. These instruments will be delivered straight to the school about a week later. The rental night is specifically for 6th graders enrolled in the beginning band class. No other students should attend, if they have already participated in a band class and have their instrument. All NON-Beginner classes (7th grade and 8th graders) will begin playing on their 2nd day of class.
- If you cannot attend the instrument night, you can go directly to Portman’s Music in Savannah. All you need to do is tell them that your student is a beginning band student at Oglethorpe Charter School and they can help you get everything you need.
- School instruments are very limited (the vast majority of students will be renting instruments not owned by the school). If this is a need, parents/guardians need to reach out to Mr. Vogel directly ASAP as these supplies are extremely limited.
- All non-beginning band students will need to bring their instrument on the second day of class. Day one will be a paperwork / review day, the 2nd day of class we will begin playing.
- If you are renting an instrument from a music store. We stock and sell a limited number of these accessories (reeds, valve oil, etc) at the school, however they are sold on a first come first serve basis and are not available year round from OCS.
- All Clarinet, Saxophone, and Oboe players should have a minimum of 2-3 working reeds at all times. Brass players should have either valve oil or slide oil appropriate to their instrument. Saxophone players must have a neck strap.
- If you have a previously owned instrument, you will need to make sure you have all necessary accessories (reeds, cork grease, valve oil, mouthpieces, etc.). Please feel free to bring in what you have to the instrument night and we can help you get anything you may be missing. You can also contact Mr. Vogel at any time to make sure you have everything you need.
- Band Book
- Beginning band members, if you rent your instrument at our instrument nights, the book will come with the instrument.
- All 6th beginning grade band members must own their own copy of “Standard of Excellence – Book 1”. These books are instrument specific and cost approximately $10. They are available through Portman’s Music and from various online vendors.
- All 7th and 8th band members must own their own copy of "Standard of Excellence - Book 2", for their instrument. Students enrolled in the advanced 8th grade band class will also need "Standard of Excellence - Book 3".
- Order forms for books for non-beginning band students will be passed out on the first day of class. Beginners can secure their book with their instrument at the instrument night or independently through Portman’s Music or an online vendor.
- You can also look online at various book vendors (such as Amazon, etc.) to order your own copy. Remember, books are instrument specific.
- A sturdy folder to hold sheet music and handouts.
- 2 Pencils dedicated to band (should be kept in instrument case or folder at all times).
**Please contact Mr. Vogel if you have any questions or concerns.**
Band Office: 912-395-5075 extension: 746136
Google Voice Number (can receive texts here): 912-421-8821
We start with student’s choice of flute, clarinet, alto sax, trumpet, or trombone. We will diversify as the year moves forward according to the needs of students and the band. Beginners may audition for percussion at the end of the first semester as positions open, only exception being students who have participated in band previously as percussionists, they will be allowed to audition for a percussion spot at the beginning of the year. Spots in the percussion section are not a guarantee as we have to maintain a balanced program to allow all students to have a great band experience.